Monday, May 24, 2010

running



A new post is long overdue. So much is always happening, and I have a really hard time keeping up with life, and after I miss a few significant events then I feel overwhelmed and guilty, and I just want to give up and never blog again because it feels like too much work, and I'll never get it all done, and it will never be good enough, and I should just stop trying. (Yes, I know that that was a horribly long run on sentence, but it is representative of my run on life.) Ironically, today's post is about running.





May 1st 2010, I ran the annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I have always enjoyed the energy and fun at a race, but this was unlike any race that I have ever competed in. With about 20, 000 people in downtown Las Vegas- crowded would be an understated description. I couldn't help but think about my father-in-law during the race, and have irrational thoughts like "what if I could win the race and if by winning he could be automatically be cured." (Lest anyone reading this begins to think I'm crazy: let me clarify; I knew even while thinking it, that one thing had nothing to do with the other.) Dad has now completed his last round of chemo and is awaiting a mastectomy. It has been a hard road, and he is in no way out of the woods. It is just great to make it this far. I couldn't help but feel hopeful by all of the "survivors" participating in the race.





I completed the 5K (3.1 miles) in 23:07 min. and was surprised and excited when I later found out that I had placed 2nd out of the women ages 35-40 and I was 140th overall out of all participants. It was super fun receiving my award in the mail too! I know that sounds lame for a grown woman to be excited about a silly certificate, but I will admit that I love a little recognition now and again, and no one is giving me awards for how quickly I clean up a glass of spilled milk or how well I clean the bathroom or how slow I am to get upset when my children really try my patience or whether or not I make my bed every day or if I got all the bills paid on time or made a fabulous dinner or...... you get the idea.



Here are my wonderful children who woke up early to come watch their mom run. Thanks Jon and kids for your support!





Now fast forward to this past weekend May 22, 2010. I had the opportunity to go to Flagstaff AZ, and do a 10K mountain trail run. I had never been to Flagstaff before. It is such a beautiful place. I kept feeling like I was camping except with the most wonderful modern conveniences of home. I have to thank my friend Carrie for inviting me(standing to the right) and her Aunt Diane (standing to my left) for letting me stay with her family. I use the word "Aunt" with a smirk because Diane is 4 months younger than I am. I would tell you the names of the outer two women except that I can't remember them so I will just call them "Diane's friends".


I am a new convert of trail running. I will admit that it does take a little extra effort and concentration to dodge tree roots and maintain sure footing on the rocks, but you can't beat the beauty of the run. I have been getting over a sinus infection and bronchitis so my breathing was already compromised and then adding in the 7000ft. elevation with plenty of hills to run up, I'll admit that I had to walk a couple of times during the race when I started seeing stars from lack of oxygen. I completed the 6.2 miles in 54:02 minutes, and I was thrilled. I am excited to do another trail run sometime. The best part of the trip though was the company. I love Carrie (who also got me to run the St. George half marathon with her). I also loved getting to know Diane better.









As you can tell from this picture, I was not only sweaty after the race, but very dirty.




We continued our tradition of eating soup and salad at the Olive Garden followed up with a movie. We watched, Letters to Juliet, which was sweet and romantic and made me want to go to Italy.


















I love running. I have always loved running, and I imagine that I always will. I will give a true confession though. There are always moments in every race- usually the middle-- when I think, " I hate this. It hurts and I'm never running another race!" And then I finish the race and think, "It feels so good to push myself, and I can't wait until the next one." Now I just need to figure out how to run fast enough to keep up with my life.

10 comments:

Andrea said...

I went to flagstaff for the first time almost 2 years ago. It was Labor Day weekend and we had been in Phoenix at a college football game. It was so so hot and after getting to flagstaff it was in the 60's and sprinkling! Felt so great. Plus, I couldn't believe we were still in Arizona!

ABBOTTLAND said...

What a great accomplishment for you do participate in these races. It is something you can do for yourself and you obviously have a talent for it. Not many people are runners who always make good time. Way to go!
~Mandy

Anonymous said...

It is so neat that you run in all of these races and that you are so good at it. Glad you had a good time. It is also fun to see the support you get from your family - VERY SWEET!!!! Also glad you got to see a good chick flick and enjoy some good company. BTW: I'll go to Italy with you whenever you want.

Norris Fam said...

I love that you love running because I love running with you!!! (Was that a run on sentence..ha, no pun intended). Actually, I should rephrase that...I love knowing that you're somewhere up ahead of me running in the same race as me.

Lynette said...

It's your passion for running that got me running years ago--which I am sooo thankful for! You are amazing and look so fabulous!!! And if you ever figure how to run to keep up with your life, let me know:)

chanel said...

you're a rockstar!

so glad to get an update on Garth too, we have been thinking about him!!!

kassie said...

Seriously 23 minutes is a great time for a competitive cross country runner in college! For a mom of 6 over 35 it is insanely amazing! Rachelle ARE YOU KIDDING ME! That is seriously sooooo awesome! Where do you get the fire girl? Im in awe!

* said...

You are a rockstar mama, Rachelle, and have every right to it, dusty ankles and all!

I so admire you.

Heidi said...

I love a good trail run, dirt and all! I need the formula for keeping up with life too or maybe we already have it and we just don't know it! You are amazing!

Squito said...

Rachelle,

I got a chance to take a few minutes to catch up and hunt down a few friends. I didn't know you liked to run. I started running about 3 months agao to train for the Rock n Roll half Marathon last month....was a great race! Now I am kind of addicted. It is good to see that I am not the only crazy one. Plus you are SO FAST!!! Those times are amazing!!!
I was sad to hear about Garth and please accept my deepest condolences and please share those with John and Jason.

You have a great family and I am happy to know you!

Michael Amesquita