Thursday, April 22, 2010

goodbye

After a decade of use in three different homes, our high chair found its way to the street to await the garbage truck. It was with mixed emotions that I left it on the curb.

A deep sigh of relief as I reentered the kitchen with a much less crowded eating area; a table for eight doesn't leave much extra space for a high chair. The relief is more than just more space. It is also the signal of new era in my life. I'm not naive enough to believe that means easier. It will be different challenges, but one that leaves behind the hardships of pregnancy, sleep deprivation, and cranky teethers.

A wave of sadness also swept in as it is just one more sign that I am done having babies. A reminder that time keeps moving forward and high chairs wear out and children grow older and I can't stop any of that. I am left wondering: am I enjoying life enough? Am I making the most of all I have? Am I doing enough? AM I GOOD ENOUGH?

The relief/sadness paradox is one that has nested into my life. I have always wondered how I would know when I was done having babies? Intellectually I always knew that there was a limit. I'm human; I'm aging, but my heart knows no limits and wants to welcome one more and one more and one more. Each child has brought such amazing dynamics to our family that it makes it hard not to want "one more" to join the party. In contemplating this decision I have struggled to find "the answer". It is only as life starts stacking up a little higher on the relief side and a little lower on the sadness side that I am beginning to embrace the reality that I am probably done having babies. Notice that even as I typed that I had to return and type in "probably". I refuse to give a definitive answer to this question just in case I wake up tomorrow and the stacks start shifting.


For now, I'm enjoying the extra space in my kitchen as I try to figure out each new day of my life!

side note: as I was typing this Savanna came by the computer looked at the screen and giggling, pointed to the picture, "look the timeout chair at the garbage". She was delighted to see it gone! I will admit that the last four months my baby has refused to sit in it anyway, and it has been used only as a discplining tool. Maybe it was a little premature? No, we have a million more places we can make into the "timeout spot".

And for anyone wondering I do believe in hand-me-downs and normally would have tried to find it a new home, but this chair was really hideous. The picture doesn't do its condition justice.

9 comments:

Norris Fam said...

I will always remember the day I sold all my baby clothes at a garage sale. Sad in a lot of ways, but liberating in others. Life is still good without baby clothes and highchairs. Plus...if we happen to need new supplies in the future, we'll just go buy some!

Lynette said...

awwww that good ole highchair! Emotions are so funny. It's amazing how they can overshadow logic any day of the week. I am sad that you "probably" won't be pregnant with me the next time. I've never done without you:)

EMILY said...

Hey Rachelle,
I am ready to redeem my pest control! The bugs are coming out! Let me know what I need to do. Thanks!
emily nelson

kassie said...

Ive never considered the relief/sadness paradox...its so true! It makes me feel crazy, indecisive, and helpless and relieved/happy for the next phase....ready to get rid of and or dust of my baby gear for the next. AGHH...how do people do it with out help from above. Its amazing how much things change as they grow. Thanks for the insights Rachelle....I look up to you in so many ways!

chanel said...

you put into words I think what so many women feel and can't express- "I'm human; I'm aging, but my heart knows no limits and wants to welcome one more and one more and one more. Each child has brought such amazing dynamics to our family that it makes it hard not to want "one more" to join the party." Is PERFECTLY put.
Thank you!

I must admit the thought of throwing out our hideous highchair is kind of thrilling- in a total mom way.

Ramona said...

The highchair is just one more symbol of our differences! You had one highchair for six babies! I went through 5 different ones-some new, some hand me downs, etc.! I still haven't even bought a crib for this last treasure of mine! The poor kiddo sleeps in a pack and play!

But on a serious note, I loved how you put this. I can relate so well! I love you and miss you! I'm sorry I missed your call today. It was a tough day.

* said...

Oh, I was so glad the day we got rid of our highchairs. For nearly 2 years, we had 2 highchairs (one for Garrett, one for Mae), and Very Small Kitchens. It has been trial and error, infinity.

Here's to hope...that we are enough, that our children know that, too.

Julie said...

honestly, i can't wait to part ways with our high chair, but i know I'll go through the same emotions... :)

i said...

what a turning part. both bitter and sweet. what a good woman you are.