Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Kindness

Did you know that this week is the official "random acts of kindness" week? I didn't until I saw it on Fox 5 news last night.

Kindness can go a long long way in making a hard day a little better. I tried to look around today at how many kind things are being done and how they make me feel.

First off I am thankful for so many kind good friends and loved ones who are willing to commiserate when needed, help when needed, point out the good when needed, and offer endless examples of kind-hearted service.

I took Flint to his doctor's appointment this morning which was way out in the North West at 9:00 a.m. I had a kind friend keep my school age kids and preschooler. (and others who offered to help and still others who would have offered to help if they knew I needed help.) My sister kept Savanna, and Flint and I got to explore the vast unknown world of Summerlin. The office staff was friendly. . . .more than friendly. I would say they were extremely efficient and nice at the same time (usually it is one or the other). We had seen the doctor and were ready to leave before I had even finished the paper work. . . . That's a totally new experience for me.

The good news is Flint got in to see an immunologist/allergist. The bad news is he is still sick after 5 more days on Zithomax. He now has been prescribed 21 more days of Omnicef and they sent us to Quest Diagnostics for the vampires to suck out 5 vials of blood.

There we were greeted with kind smiling friendly phlebotomists (I don't know how to spell that but it is the people who take blood)who thought his "white curly hair" was so cute. Even the people in the waiting room were friendly as Savanna spilled TWO cups of water and Flint wanted to be best friends with anyone who would smile at him-- even the lady whose purse narrowly escaped the rummaging of a 19 month old didn't seem phased as I wisked it away and handed it to her.

I have decided that there is nothing better than being treated kindly. I realize that most of these acts were not "random" acts of kindness but rather kindness from friends or family or people just doing there job; nonetheless, it has inspired me to be kinder. . . .not just to the people in my family and circle of friends, but I want to go out of my way to be nice to everyone.

4 comments:

Lynette said...

Glad you had such a night and day experience from last week. We had so much fun with Savvy here. We need to do it more often {when there isn't a specific reason} Logan and her played SO well together and he keeps asking about "his savvy".
Hope this round of anitbotics do the trick for Flinters. He is just so sweet and rolls with it {at least when I see him-I'm sure you deal with way more of the whiney wanting to be held all day}
Love you!

Norris Fam said...

Newsflash...you already are nice to everyone! Glad to know about Random Act of Kindness week, hmmmm what to do???

ABBOTTLAND said...

I agree about there being nothing better than being treated kindly. Especially when you have a sick baby and have been going through so much with him. A smile or a kind word can make a disaster of a day do a 360. I wish more people were inclined to be kind. At least we can start with ourselves, right?

Brittany said...

Ummm you are already super nice to everyone!!!