Tuesday, January 5, 2010

HELP

Asking for help is never an easy thing. I'm not good at it, but some things are worth leaving my comfort zone for, and this is one of them.

My father-in-law, Garth Abbott, was recently diagnosed with a very aggressive form of breast cancer called IBC (inflammatory breast cancer). This is a time sensitive matter, and he needs chemotherapy asap. He is uninsured and does not have the necessary money to pay for his treatment. In my ignorance I never realized that someone in his situation would be refused life saving treatment because he could not pay, but that is how the system works, no payment, no treatment.

Garth Abbott is no ordinary man. He has spent his life serving other people. I have watched time after time, knock on the door after knock on the door, phone call after phone call, as this man leaves what he is doing to render help. Sometimes as simple as listening to some one's problems and offering advice, picking up a stranded motorist, offering a night's stay to someone in need (often turning into multiple nights). Countless hours have been spent in service with his church and community as he has worked with the youth loving, teaching, and helping them. He and his wife are the parents of five children, and 18 grandchildren. They are also the caretakers of his 95 year old mother and his down syndrome sister. In my husband's words, "He's the best man I know, and I know a lot of great men!"

I feel so helpless in this situation, as do many others who love this great man and want to help. So I have decided to do an online auction to help raise funds for his treatments. I am asking for anyone with a service or good that they would like to donate for this auction to leave me a comment on my blog or email me at helpgarth@yahoo.com . So start thinking about what you would be willing to offer for auction. Be creative! I will post the item on my site to open bidding. Each item will be a separate post. Include contact information, a description and picture if possible. (Be specific and give the value), Use the who, what, when, where, why format when writing about your good/service.

For example: Rachelle Abbott helpgarth@yahoo.com, 2 lg 16" homemade pizza (toppings of your choice) w/ 2 liter soda, 2 $25 value made upon your request. expires 12/10. Made for delivery in Henderson area. Restaurant quality with a homemade touch.

Another example: Abbott Pest Control, 702 755-0081, Pest Control Service for 6 months ($210 value). Expires in 12/10. This is for a place of residence in the Las Vegas, NV area or Alamo, NV. Keep your home pest free.

For anyone bidding please leave your contact information-- email address or phone number so that I can give it to the person offering the goods/service to arrange for pick up/delivery. You may send this directly to my email account if you want to be anonymous. Additionally a fund is being set up in his name, and I will post that information on a future post. Please help me spread the word by posting this on your networking sites.

No donation is too small!

Keep checking back for updated information and to bid on items.

5 comments:

The Matlocks said...

This is such a great idea! Your description of Garth is spot on. We are far away, but will be thinking of what we can do! We love Grath :)

Kaydence said...

Here is a link to a website that offers financial help for uninsured people with a cancer diagnosis.

http://www.cancercare.org/

Also, be sure to ask your doctors about local experimental treatment centers or hospital run programs.

It may seems helpless now, but there ARE many organizations willing to help people in your situation. You may have to do a little looking around, but they are out there.

Karissa said...

Rachelle, quite a few people I know have asked me how they can just donate money.... When you get that option set up please let me know.

You can set up a PayPal account (for free) so people can donate money online. It's easier for those of us who live out of Las Vegas.

What a great cause! GOOD JOB on your efforts to raise money for a beloved man. :-)

When a link is available to donate money please let me know so I can pass on the info....
KarissaBagley@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking! I'm pretty untalented, but the valentine's basket is a great idea. I promise my help in some way. I love Bishop. Such a good man. He made me feel so good about myself back in the day. I'll talk with my husband and we will donate services or buy some for sure. Love to you all.

Emily said...

Emily Stosich, Heritage Makers, I will donate an 8x8 storybook credit and a free personal publishing account. I will also donate a month of premier membership to have access to the premier artwork. ($55.00 value), storybookgirl@ymail.com, 702-335-0589