Monday, March 15, 2010

I'm a winner!!!

O.K. technically I am the runner-up so that means I am second place, but hey, I'm happy. When do I ever win anything. . . .o.k sometimes I'm lucky at random drawings, like at Kid's Club, but never do I win someting of merit.



I mention from time to time about how much I enjoy reading http://www.thechocolatechipwaffle.blogspot.com/. Terresa is an amazing, gritty, witty, descriptive writer, and I love the pictures she posts. She sponsored a "6 word memoir" contest and the winner was announced today.

(here were the rules copied from her blog)
If you had to condense your life into six words, what would you write?
Here are some of my own six word memoirs {a few are reposted from my archives}:

Met myself in writing, Uruguay, homebirthing.

Motherhood cracked open life, my heart.

Melting chocolate, wiping faces, all poetry.

Homebirthed twins, sixteen pounds of love.

Count 'em, each memoir has six words. Kind of like haiku but easier. And, like Dove peanut butter chocolate eggs, it's hard to stop at just one.

I like this exercise because it nudges you to condense your full-to-bursting-life into a couple of distilled words. And it makes you sweat a little. And it's good fun. Kind of like poetry itself.


Here is the winning entry:


The Damsel In DisDress said...
Reluctantly surrendered life; it returned ten-fold


And here is my runner-up entry:


Rachelle said...
Motherhood: silent applause of unknown fame.



This was a fun contest. . . . .and I even get some chocolate out of it. Thanks Terresa!!!

5 comments:

Ramona said...

Absolutely Amazing! Exactly why you need to be writing! I was too chicken to enter, but I wanted to! I love what you wrote and enjoy that chocolate!

Lynette said...

Love it. i remember a similar talk to you gave on Mother's day that i absolutely loved!!! Congrats and enjoy the yumminess!!!

Norris Fam said...

Congratulations...very inspiring. Will you share the chocolate with me while we're running next week :)

* said...

Rachelle, you're welcome! You have such a gift, girl. Keep on writing!! Your entry rocked!

Brittany said...

COngrats! You totally desire it... your entry was fabulous!